||Champagne Devaux has been part of the legendary history of Champagne since the 19th century.
Founded in 1846 by brothers Jules and Auguste Devaux, the house was then managed by three inspiring women who led the family winery with remarkable energy and talent in equal measure.
The first woman, Claude-Joseph Devaux (born Ducray), widowed at 39 years old, founded and managed the house “Maison Vve A. Devaux? in 1846 in Epernay with her son Francois-Auguste. His wife, Augusta-Maria Herbin, was to become the second “Devaux widow? following his death in 1879. She was in charge of the winery until 1895.
The DEVAUX brand quickly became successful. By the turn of the century, DEVAUX was exporting 75% of its production, notably to English-speaking countries, as well as Germany and Russia.
Then in 1907, following the death of Charles-Auguste Devaux, the third “Devaux widow” born Hussenot, took over the reins and managed the winery until her death in 1951 at the age of 80, thus concluding an extraordinary saga of “Champagne widows?. She was succeeded by her two sons.
The last in the Devaux line, Jean-Pol Auguste Devaux, was without an heir. As such, in 1987 he entrusted the future of Devaux - a brand with a prestigious past and an exciting future - to Laurent Gillet, President of the “Union Auboise”* (then supplier for the DEVAUX “Blanc de Noirs” champagne).