CREATION IN 1719
The origins of the domain go back to 1719, but it was in 1838 that a certain Henry Delaroze, mayor of Saint-Laurent, created a vineyard on the parcel known as the “tenement de Trintaudon”, a magnificent gravelly hillside up to then uncultivated.
The property is mentioned under the name of ” Trentaudon “ in the first edition of 1/2 Bordeaux and its Wines” published by Feret (1850)/ In the second edition of Feret (1868), it is classed as a cru bourgeois, then in the third edition (1874), as a cru bourgeois superieur.
In 1870, Comte Ernest de Lahens presided over this domain of 345 ha and commissioned the building of chateau Trintaudon, capped with its distinctive tower dominating the landscape like a lighthouse in an ocean of vines.
DECLINE AND RENAISSANCE
Prosperity, passage through the hands of several owners, then the ravages of phylloxera and mildew took their toll on the viticultural vocation of the property.
In 1923, Comte Tchernoff, a white Russian migrant, delivered the fatal blow to the domain. He spent 7 million francs in an attempt to become a pioneer of industrial dairy farming, but in pulling up the greater part of the vines he ruined both the domain and himself.
In 1963, after having been owned by a great Spanish general Duke Del Infantado, the domain Trintaudon was bought in a state of semi-abandon by the Forner family, who were already proprietors of Chateau Camensac and Marques de Caceres in the Rioja wine region of Spain. 175 hectares of the best grape varieties were planted on the scientific advice of an eminent wine and vineyard specialist, Professor Émile Peynaud.
IN THE PORTFOLIO OF AGF-ALLIANZ
In 1986, the insurance company Allianz bought the domain, now one of the largest vineyards in the Medoc both in terms of size and production, based on the great potential of its ‘terroir’ It has since built up a fine reputation and is now considered one of the very best Crus Bourgeois.